Applications are ongoing for the 2021 Bioscience Innovation Bootcamp For Entrepreneurial Scientists. Interested and suitably qualified persons are therefore encouraged to apply.
The Biosciences eastern and central Africa – International Livestock Research Institute (BecA-ILRI) Hub is a shared agricultural research and biosciences platform cocreated by ILRI and the African Union/New Partnership for Africa’s Development (AU/NEPAD) under the African Biosciences Initiative.
The Hub serves 18 countries in eastern and central Africa (ECA). With support from Sida, the Hub mobilizes bioscience for Africa’s development, through demand driven research, capacity building and providing access to state of the art biosciences research facilities to scientists addressing challenges of African agriculture.
Innovate Africa and BeCA-ILRI Hub in collaboration with Inclusive Business Sweden and Villgro Africa have organised a 5-day bioscience innovation boot camp for entrepreneurial scientists in central and eastern Africa to empower them to develop innovative and commercially viable biological based ideas in areas including but not limited to:
- Food and Feed
- Green chemicals
- Plant and animal diseases diagnostics
- Wastewater treatment
- This call shall be limited to citizens and/or nationals of any of the following countries, where BioInnovate Africa and BecA-ILRI Hub network exists: Burundi,Cameroon,Central Africa Republic,Congo Brazzaville,Democratic Republic of Congo,Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea,Ethiopia,Gabon, Kenya, Madagascar, Rwanda, Sao Tome and Principe,Somalia, South Sudan, Sudan, Tanzania,Uganda.
- Applicants should be:
- Either scientists/researchers employed at a university, research organisation or private company in any of the listed countries.
- Or postgraduate students studying at a university or research organisation in any of the listed countries.
Benefits of Participating in the Bootcamp
- You will gain skills in packaging your innovative idea and making it commercially viable and ready for investment.
- You will increase your chances of being eligible for future funding and technical assistance by BioInnovate Africa and Villgro Africa.
- You will have the opportunity to pitch your innovative idea to potential investors during the bootcamp and a possibility to secure funding.
- Additionally, you will network with a wide range of stakeholders during the second regional Bioeconomy conference taking place in November 2021.
- An innovative biobased idea with potential for commercial application (40 points)
- Technical proof of concept will be preferred over unproven ideas (30 points)
- A committed multidisciplinary team of three (3) members. It is highly preferrable to have the idea bearer in the team (30 points).
How to apply
- Applicants should complete an online application form
- The following documents should be uploaded through the online form.
- A support letter/email from your organisation of affiliation (signed by e.g., the head of department or supervisor)
- CVs of the team
- A one-page personal motivation statement by the team leader
- A PowerPoint application document uploaded in this format using these guidelines.
The deadline for receiving applications is 16 August 2021 at 23:59 hrs Nairobi Time. Late submissions will be disqualified.
Successful teams will be notified through email by 3rd September 2021. Selected teams are expected to participate in the bootcamp for five days on 11-15 October 2021. Teams with promising ideas will pitch their innovative ideas to potential investors during a demo day on 15 October 2021.
For more information, visit Bioscience Innovation Bootcamp 2021